Metro Trains Melbourne Pty Ltd (“MTM”, “we”, “our” or “us”) ABN 43 136 429 948, is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals
The protection of personal information in the private sector is required by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Information Privacy Act 2000 (Vic) (collectively the “Privacy Laws”) and we are bound to comply with these Privacy Laws. All of our employees and officers are expected to comply with the Privacy Laws and our policies and procedures concerning the protection of personal information.
This policy is based on the following principles:
- privacy of personal information is of paramount importance to us;
- your personal information will not be disclosed, other than in accordance with this policy without your permission or in accordance with the Privacy Laws; and
- we will only use your personal information for purposes for which it was collected, as set out in this policy.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
We may collect personal information about you, including your name, date of birth, address, telephone number, email address and occupation. We may also collect information concerning your use of our services and other information concerning our dealings with you.
HOW DO WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect personal information through a variety of ways. These include:
- directly from you, for example when you provide information via our web site, on an application form or when speaking to our representatives;
- from third parties, for example from credit reporting agencies, your agents or Public Transport Victoria (“PTV”);
- from publicly available sources; and
- from our records of your dealings with us (including through your use of our web site).
If you provide us with the personal information of another person, we rely on you to inform that person and obtain their consent for the disclosure by you to us of their personal information.
WHY DO WE COLLECT AND HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION
Metro only collects personal information where it is reasonably necessary for one or more of its functions or activities and it is collected by lawful and fair means. Metro does not seek to collect more information than is necessary or relevant.
We collect and use your personal information in order to:
- undertake or operate our franchise;
- provide services to you, or to carry out our dealings with you;
- provide feedback to you;
- comply with our legal obligations;
- conduct market research;
- research and develop our products, services and our marketing programs;
- review and consider any application or other information you send to us;
- carry out administrative functions, such as risk management, credit management, billing and record keeping;
- investigate safety and/or security incidents on the metropolitan rail network;
- test, develop and maintain our systems and services;
- monitor and enforce our policies and procedures and ensure that our services are not misused and are used only for lawful purposes; and
- carry out credit and payment related activities.
We may use your personal information we have collected in order to enable us or our related entities to promote and market services to you. This may include through sending you information via mail, email, SMS and telephone for example. However, Metro will not use or disclose personal information for direct marketing unless the information:
- is collected directly from you, and
- you would reasonably expect direct marketing, and
- there is a simple means to opt out.
You may opt out of any such direct marketing at any time.
Disclosing personal information
Like other organisations, we sometimes use or deal with third parties in using your personal information for the purposes described above. These organisations include:
- our related bodies corporate and shareholders;
- our contractors, agents and advisors;
- government, law enforcement and regulatory entities;
- Metro staff, referees, recruitment agents and any other third parties who may assist with the Metro recruitment process in relation to any job application for which you may have applied;
- your agent, executor, administrator, trustee or attorney;
- other service providers;
- credit reporting, credit providers and debt collection agencies;
- other financial institutions;
- PTV, Department of Transport, Planning and Local infrastructure (“DTPLI”) and third parties related to PTV or DTPLI;
- other third parties with which we have an alliance or arrangement; and
- other entities as required or permitted by law.
Metro will only disclose to a third party such personal information that is relevant for the purpose of the disclosure. Metro will only transfer your personal information to another individual or organisation in limited circumstances, including that the recipient is subject to equivalent Privacy Laws.
RETENTION AND DISPOSAL OF INFORMATION
SENDING PERSONAL INFORMATION OVERSEAS
If it is necessary for us to transfer your personal information overseas to a third party we will obtain your consent first and ensure that the overseas recipient is subject to substantially similar privacy laws and has mechanisms in place to enforce these protections.
Any email you send to us and information you submit through our websites may be scanned for IT security purposes.
SECURITY OF INFORMATION
You should be aware that the internet is not a secure environment and information sent via the internet (including via email) may be intercepted by a third party. We use reasonable efforts to ensure that any personal information collected by us is held securely.
YOU CAN ACCESS AND UPDATE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In accordance with laws you have a right (subject to certain limitations) to access your personal information we hold. If you believe that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please notify us. Metro will take steps to correct personal information to ensure it is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant and not misleading if you request such correction or it is otherwise identified as being required.
If you would like to seek access to personal information that Metro may have about you, update that information or if you have any questions or complaints about how we collect, use, disclose, manage or store your personal information, then please contact the Metro department that collected your information in the first instance or write to Metro’s Privacy Officer via the method set out below.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
Our Contact Details
If you require further information about how we handle personal information or any privacy issues please write to our Privacy Officer:Privacy Officer
Commercial & Legal Group
Metro Trains Melbourne Pty Ltd
GPO Box 1880
Melbourne VIC 3001